We’ve always said that having a baby wouldn’t slow us down – and we’re trying to make sure it stays true! Of course we have slowed down a bit, but we have a busy fall planned. We’ve completed a few successful overnighters (one weekend up in the Bay Area staying with my mom, and one down in LA at a hotel for a good friend’s wedding), and he did a great job. So, what do we have planned?
- Another weekend up in northern California – a couple of nights at my mom’s, and then our first real (mini) vacation as a family in Carmel. We’ll be spending two nights there and have nothing planned other than enjoying the cooler temperatures! We’re looking forward to a lot of walking, eating good food, wine tasting, and window shopping.
- Oliver’s first trip to the beach in San Diego. Mission Beach is my family’s annual vacation spot (although we kind of stopped for the past few years). All of us are planning to go again, so Ryan and I rented a house right by the house everyone else will be staying in. We’ll be down there for 4 nights and I’m really looking forward to morning walks on the boardwalk and relaxing afternoons on the beach.
- Oliver’s first camping trip! We’ve been planning to go to Yosemite since the beginning of the year and I can’t wait! We’re staying in Yosemite Valley at Upper Pines (where we usually stay) and Oliver’s baby friends Emma and Austin will also be there. So, it won’t be our usual camping trip with lofty hiking goals, but more of a relaxing trip.
- Oliver’s first plane ride (notice a pattern? A lot of firsts for Oliver!). We’re headed to Denver for a week to visit Ryan’s family since most of them haven’t met Oliver yet! Since we’re spending more than a long weekend there, we managed to sneak in a short trip to Aspen (I’ve never been!) with Ryan’s parents and brother and his wife.
- And although it’s not booked yet, we’re also planning a trip to Europe! We’re hoping for October, but we haven’t been able to get Oliver’s passport yet (we tried yesterday morning, but there were too many people so we have to go back sometime this week). We haven’t yet decided where, but some ideas include: London, English countryside, Paris, southern France, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Bruges. We need to book this soon since our planned departure date is in 7 weeks (!), so hopefully we can get serious about this in the next week or so.
Just writing it all out seems exhausting, but we are excited to experience old and new places with Oliver. I am a bit nervous about some things – mostly the plane flights and dealing with feeding and naps while out and about (particularly in Europe), but I’m sure we’ll survive!